Press release from the National Association of Evangelicals.
The National Association of Evangelicals (NAE) has released an important resource for evangelicals on questions that arise at the intersection of faith and science. “When God and Science Meet: Surprising Discoveries of Agreement” is a collection of 10 essays from leading evangelicals and scientists.
“When God and Science Meet” explores the history of science and Christianity, the wonder of creation, the competencies and limitations of science, science as a Christian calling, technology, genetics, and creation care, among other topics.
NAE President Leith Anderson said, “As laypersons we sometimes wonder if we know enough about science or religion to ask the right questions of either. As scientists we may welcome serious conversations but wonder if others tilt more toward controversy or more toward truth. As pastors we often keep silent on science, because we don’t know what to say or because we don’t want to engage or escalate unwanted debates.”
With this in mind, the NAE asked a small, but impressive group of authors to bring science and faith on the same page. The booklet does not answer all the questions, but it unites the conversation in a way that values and respects both faith and science.
- Mark A. Noll, Francis A. McAnaney Professor of History at the University of Notre Dame
- Dorothy Boorse, Professor of Biology at Gordon College in Wenham, Massachusetts
- Katharine Hayhoe, Associate Professor and Director of the Climate Science Center at Texas Tech University, and W. Douglas Hayhoe, Associate Professor of Education at Tyndale Seminary in Toronto
- John Ortberg, Senior Pastor at Menlo Park Presbyterian Church in Menlo Park, California
- Dorothy F. Chappell, Dean of Natural and Social Sciences at Wheaton College in Wheaton, Illinois
- Ian Hutchinson, Professor of Nuclear Science and Engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Randy Isaac, Executive Director of the American Scientific Affiliation
- Jay Hollman, Interventional Cardiologist at Ochsner Clinic of Baton Rouge and Adjunct Clinical Professor of Medicine at Louisiana State University
- Christopher J. H. Wright, International Ministries Director of the Langham Partnership
- Ed Stetzer, Executive Director of LifeWay Research
The booklet also includes a foreword by Jennifer Wiseman, director of the Dialogue on Science, Ethics, and Religion for the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), and an introduction by Anderson.
“When God and Science Meet: Surprising Discoveries of Agreement” is available free of charge at NAE.net/GodandScience. Shipping and handling fees apply for hard copies.