“Depend upon it, if you are bent on prayer, the devil will not leave you alone. He will molest you, tantalize you, block you, and will surely find some hindrances, big or little or both. And we sometimes fail because we are ignorant of his devices. I do not think he minds our praying about things, if we leave it at that. What he minds, and opposes steadily, is the prayer that prays on until it is prayed through, assured of the answer.” — Mary Warburton Booth
Prayers for the week…
- As neighbors and citizens: Pray for people and families traveling around on summer vacation. Prayers for safety in travels. Also, prayers for families and marriages to be strengthened and built up by joyful times spent together having fun.
- Pray for pro-life ministry around the world. Right-to-life issues involve matters in the womb and out — from the embryo to hospice care and all life in between.
- Pray for the Reformed University Fellowship (RUF) ministry taking place at Oklahoma State — led by Daniel Killian:
Daniel is originally from Fort Payne, Ala., and still misses the rivers and canyons of his childhood home. He is both an alumni (2001) and huge fan of Auburn University where he met his beautiful wife Taylor. Taylor is a native Texan from Houston, and she enjoys all things ballet and her children. The cute little red-head is Lainey, who loves to sing and play animals. The little man is Gaddis, who is extremely active, sweet, and all boy, and the little button is Harper Elizabeth. Daniel finished his Master’s of Divinity at Redeemer Theological Seminary in Dallas (formerly Westminster). He enjoys playing Ultimate Frisbee, watching college football, discussing theology or trying to fleece it out (from “The Office”). The Killian family is excited about serving the students of Oklahoma State.
- Using the new 2013 “watchlist” produced by Open Doors, we pray for the persecuted Christians of a different country each week.
Teachers/parents, consider this a great way to introduce geography into the weekly lessons. Show students where the nation is, then pray for Christians in that place.
This week we pray for the Christians of Brunei, which ranks No. 26 on the watchlist.
Contact with Christians in other countries, the import of Bibles and the public celebration of Christmas are all banned in this Islamic nation. The monarchy is seen as the defender of the faith, and Islamic law has been fully implemented since 2011. There is a program of Islamization for natives. Muslim-background believers can face hostility from family and community. The government recognizes only three Catholic and three Anglican churches; unregistered churches are considered “illegal sects” and are monitored by government officials.
• The level of fear among persecuted Christians is very high. Pray for courage to stand firm in the faith
• Christian bookshops are not allowed. Pray that believers and seekers will gain access to God’s Word
• The Sultan has announced that from 2013, Islamic religious studies will become a compulsory subject in schools. Pray that children will have the opportunity to hear the gospel.
- Prayer for the nation – focusing this week on the state of Missouri.
- In 2013, we will pray together by name for Christians in 50 nations, Christians in all 50 states and all the presbyteries of the Presbyterian Church (USA), Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC), Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) and the emerging new Reformed body, ECO: A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians. You are encouraged to add specific pastors, lay leaders, congregations, missionaries, new church developments and other ministries to the list by posting a comment to the blog. (Please do not publicly post the names of missionaries serving in contexts where exposing their identity would cause them harm or bring harm to those they serve in Christ’s name.) Let us kneel before the Father and ask His will be done.
- Prayers for the PCUSA: Pray for the presbyteries of the Synod of the Covenant: Cincinnati, Detroit, Eastminster, Lake Huron, Lake Michigan, Macinac, Maumee Valley, Miami Valley, Musingum, Scioto Valley, Western Reserve.
- Prayers for Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC): Midwest Presbytery (John Manon, stated clerk).
- Prayers for the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA): the churches of the Westminster Presbytery.
- Prayers for ECO: A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians.
- Prayers for The Fellowship of Presbyterians.